Sunday, August 19, 2007

How To Make Diaper Cakes 101 - What is the heck is it?

Alright - so I have to confess that I enjoy the reaction I get from friends when they ask for baby shower gift ideas. I love saying "oh that is easy, make a diaper cake". The confused look is priceless, because diapers and cakes are not things you ever think about going together. I know because just 12 months ago I had the same look and reaction. So I never assume that anyone has ever seen one let alone knows how to make diaper cakes.

So here is my quick explanation of a diaper cake. First it is not an edible cake - there is no yummy frosting. But it is a
very popular and personable, hand crafted gift for baby showers. Think of it as a new way of packaging the traditional baby shower gifts: diapers, blankets, pacifiers, bottles, bibs, etc, into something that resembles a traditional tiered caked. Baby diapers are either wrapped or rolled together to create the cake layers, wrapped with ribbon and then they are decorated with all the small baby items. And of course finish off with a cake topper (small stuffed animal, baby keepsake). The added bonus here is that diaper cakes can also be used as beautiful centerpieces for any baby shower. Which is one of the reason why they have become so popular.

The decorating and theme ideas for these cakes are endless. They can be created for a girl, boy, twins, with the baby's room theme, kids characters, themes based on the expectant mom's favorite tv show, or even the expectant father's favorite Nascar driver (go Jeff Gordon). I think you get the idea here, they can be as creative as you desire. So all you have to do now is learn how to make diaper cakes and you are off and running.

No comments: